Frequently Asked Questions


Most of the time our Garden rooms will be allowed without planning permission under a permitted development as they are classed as ancillary buildings. We do advise that you check with your local planning office as they can vary in each locality.

See below advice from Scottish government website
 Most ancillary buildings do not need a planning permission application, because most meet a set of rules called 'permitted development'.
The permitted development rules for an ancillary building are:

  • it's located at the back of the house

  • it's not used as a separate home to live in

  • it, and any other development, does not take up half or more of the 'curtilage' or is over 30m2 – this means half or more of the grounds behind your home

  • it's not higher than 4 metres at the highest point

  • any part that's a metre or less from the boundary is no higher than 2.5 metres

  • the eaves (the part where the wall meets the roof) is no higher than 3 metres

  • if the land is in a conservation area or in the grounds of a listed building, the ancillary building has a footprint of less than 4 square metres

Build a shed, garage, greenhouse or other building - mygov.scot
If you add want to add water connection for example you would then need to apply for planning permission which we can assist with and draw up the specification to help meet local authority requirements.

Absolutely! However, depending on other requirements, there may be a need for planning permission and a building warrant.